Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The "hideous" symbol of greed I simply must see

Lunch time.
Eating cooked carrots.
Reading "THE ROUGH GUIDE TO LONDON."
Perfect!
I am actually reading about CENTRE POINT, one of the earliest -- and most controversial -- London skyscrapers.
Located almost directly above TOTTENHAM COURT ROAD TUBE STATION, Centre Point was completed in the MAGICAL YEAR OF 1966 as speculative office space by the property developer, Harry Hyams.
The Rough Guide refers to the building as "hideous," noting that Hyams "kept it famously empty for more than a decade, a profit-making exercise whose cynicism transcended even the London norms of the time."
The tower is now a Grade II listed building, meaning it has been designated as "being of special architectural, historical or cultural significance."
Brilliant!
I am certain that -- at 32 floors tall -- I am bound to see it when my sister and I visit London later this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment