Sunday, June 7, 2009

I've waited 30 years. What's another 202 days?

I have been waiting to go to LONDON for at least 30 years.
I know it's been at least that long, because I hold in my hands the AA BOOK OF BRITISH TOWNS, a first-edition guidebook I purchase new in 1979 -- when I was 13 years old.
I have spent countless hours enraptured by the book's contents. So much so, that three strips of duct tape hold it together -- the original binding long ago consigned to history.
I have been to THE NETHERLANDS, CANADA, MEXICO and about HALF THE UNITED STATES since I purchased this book, but never London.
Thanks to my sister INGER, the long wait to visit England's capital ends this December. She is true world traveler, and she wants to celebrate her 40th birthday in London.
I am fortunate enough to tag along.
On this blog, I intend to chronicle my trip. Before we leave, I will also occasionally detail my preparations.
I think I will start my preparations where they really began -- with a 30-year-old book of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment