Sunday, December 27, 2009

"... and after we watched the Iranian protest march, we shopped at Tesco's"

It's been a busy first day in LONDON, but it's not over yet.
My predawn arrival thrilled me. Our Delta flight flew into the capital from the southeast, and I recognized a succession of landmarks from the air:
1. The Canary Wharf development.
2. Tower Bridge.
3. The London Eye.
4. Big Ben's illuminated clock face.
5. Wembley Stadium.
After spending an *eternity* in the queue for passport control, I hopped on the Heathrow Express to PADDINGTON and hailed a cab to 58 CHEPSTOW VILLAS, the flat where we are staying.
My sister INGER showed me around the neighborhood this afternoon. We walked along the shops on Portobello Road (pictured), as well as those around Notting Hill Gate.
I wanted to feed the swans in KENSINGTON GARDENS, but I didn't have any bread crumbs. We rested at THE CHURCHILL ARMS, an Irish pub in Kensington Church Road.
Arsenal played Aston Villa on the pub television, and the place erupted when Cesc Fabregas scored the first of his two goals in a 3-0 Gunners win.
Now, we're preparing for our fancy dinner at Corrigan's Mayfair, while listening to Hull City v. Manchester United on BBC Radio 5 Live.
I may never leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment