Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Who knew tying my shoe could be such a thrill?

What a day.
I strolled across the ABBEY ROAD zebra crossing in honor of THE BEATLES, danced a panda dance when prompted at "ALADDIN," London's top-rated pantomime and popped in to the BRITISH MUSEUM to have a look at the ROSETTA STONE.
My proudest moment, however, occurred with the simple act of TYING MY LEFT SHOE.
What?
Well, I didn't tell the entire story:
I tied my left shoe sitting in the ENGLAND DRESSING ROOM at LORD'S CRICKET GROUND (don't worry, the England cricketers are in South Africa on a tour).
Imagine Fenway Park crossed with the Baseball Hall of Fame, and even that combination pales in comparison with Lord's.
INGER and I enjoyed a guided tour of it this morning.
Lord's is the home of cricket, the sport that captivates millions around the world, from India to Jamaica and from Australia and South Africa to England.
"It's the mecca of cricket," BRIAN LARA once said of Lord's, where officials maintain the laws of the game, first played more than 400 years ago.
The tour group, including Australians, South Africans and only a pair of Americans (that would be us), sat round the visitor's dressing room as well as the home dressing room. Top players are a superstitious lot, our tour guide informed us, and he went round the room, telling us all which top overseas players traditionally changed at our seats.
The Australian Justin Langer changed where my sister sat.
The aforementioned West Indies legend Lara (think Barry Bonds without the taint of steroids) sat at my spot.
I can't even begin to tell you how thrilled I was to learn that fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment