Monday, December 28, 2009

Two minutes of sheer joy at Brisbane Road

We enjoyed two minutes of sheer joy this afternoon, followed by about 31 minutes of "oh, dear.."
By "we," I mean supporters of LEYTON ORIENT.
The O's fell to SOUTHEND, 2-1, at Brisbane Road today, and my sister INGER and I were among the 5,680 in attendance.
After slurping BOVRIL and eating my STEAK AND KIDNEY PIE, we watched a goalless first half notable for Orient's tentativeness on the ball.
The second half began promising more of the same, until Orient's Adam Chambers opened the scoring in the 57th minute.
We shouted ourselves hoarse in the North Stand.
The warm glow didn't last long.
The Southend supporters in the East Stand were able to cheer two minutes later, when Adam Barrett sent the ball past Orient goalkeeper Jamie Jones.
The O's didn't look likely to reclaim the lead, and Alan McCormack scored Southend's second in the 74th minute -- the ball seemed to trickle over the line for the goal.
By the end of the match, there was a dreadful feeling that the Southend supporters were correct when they sang: "This is why you're going down."
Inger and I stumbled upon the pub we wanted to find -- THE COACH & HORSES -- as we walked back down Leyton High Road to the tube station.
We downed a pint, and bloke playing snooker asked me what I thought of Orient's chairman, Barry Hearn.
I wish I could say that sort of thing happens all the time at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment