Thursday, December 24, 2009

"... and a partridge in a salad"

We'll be celebrating the birthday of my sister INGER in fine style this weekend, with a dinner at CORRIGAN'S MAYFAIR, a celebrated restaurant located about 2 1/2 blocks west of the American Embassy on Upper Grosvenor Street, LONDON.
We'll be celebrating, but I am not sure what exactly I'll be eating.

Inger forwarded me a menu, and I have never heard of half the items.

"Steamed brill?" (Turns out it's a flat fish.)

"Grilled langoustines?" (Some people call them " Norway lobsters.")

"Marinated ceps?" (Unfancy name: "Mushroom salad.")

The menu items I can identify make me blink in a "did-I-read-that-right?" style.

"Oxtail ravioli?"

"Grouse pie for two?"
"Braised pork cheeks?"
"Salad of partridge?"
"Saddle of wild rabbit?"

As I read the menu, I began to feel:

1) Like the simple country folk I probably am.

2) A bit crestfallen. What is there to eat here?

Then I read:

"Roast cod, Jerusalem artichokes, red wine --" ahh... "-- and bone marrow." Errr...

Perhaps I should just skip right to the dessert menu and the black figs and port with mulled wine sorbet.

No comments:

Post a Comment